I think it’s safe to say that the next generation of video game consoles is getting closer and closer to release. The rumors are more frequent and harder to ignore, but I’m not planning on upgrading until the PS5 Slim comes out in a few years. For those who haven’t heard the rumors, here they are: The PS5 will be released in early 2021, with price points starting at $500. If you’re like me, then you must have some questions about this new console. What will it look like? How much will it cost? Will there be any new features?
Reasons to get it now
- It’s only going to get more expensive.
- The slim might be better if it has a 4K output and some other features that make it worth the upgrade.
- No one knows when Sony is releasing their next console, so it’s best to wait until we know what they have in store before buying anything else now. 4. It will give you time to play all the games you want while on your current system before making any purchase decisions, because who wants to pay full price for something they already own?
- It’s not like there are any exclusives coming out right away, which means you’re stuck playing second-hand games for awhile with your new console.
- We don’t even know what specs it’s going to run on yet!
- What happens when it takes years for the PS5 Slim to release and then it ends up being terrible or they release an actual console shortly after, which would be worse than just waiting a few months more and getting the better model?
- Now imagine how much money you’d save by waiting.
- 9. You could buy multiple consoles and still end up spending less than if you had just bought this one right now at retail price.
- And why spend money on something that won’t last anyways? You’ll probably need another one again in just two years…
Reasons to wait
If you’re on the fence about whether or not to buy a next-gen console, you may want to wait for Sony’s new PS5. It’s rumored that the new console will be slimmer than previous models and it’ll also support 4K gaming and streaming. If you’re looking to save some money in order to get other things out of your budget like travel or clothing, then waiting is probably your best bet.
The downside is that this means more time spent playing Destiny 2 and Spiderman on your current console which is totally fine if you don’t have any aspirations of playing those games on PlayStation 5. PS4 Pro owners can continue to play their favorite titles on their consoles by using the Boost Mode. With this mode, players can take advantage of increased graphics and frame rates without having to worry about compatibility issues with future games.
Since there are so many options these days when it comes to entertainment options, from movie theaters to streaming services, there’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars on one video game console just so you can play Fortnite.
If gamers are willing to invest in an Xbox One X now before the release date of the PS5 Slim then they could be rewarded with access to enhanced gameplay modes such as 60 frames per second (FPS) with full 4K resolution quality graphics.
How (and why) you could have it both ways
You can have it both ways by waiting for the PS5 Slim. It’s coming out in 2020 and will be cheaper than the current PS4 Pro, which is currently priced at around $450. The games won’t look as good because it won’t support 4K, but if you’re looking to save money, this could be your best option. For me personally, I don’t think that that’s worth the price of admission. But if you’re okay with the tradeoffs, then go ahead and get one now!